AboutGulf Detectives at Dauphin Island Sea Lab is an exciting opportunity for students to access beaches, coastal wetlands, Mobile Bay and the Gulf of Mexico without leaving their desks. This virtual laboratory and field experience is designed to increase students’ knowledge of science and encourage interest in STEM subjects. The unique experience will give students an opportunity to witness the impact of science on their daily lives and increase understanding and appreciation for science and the marine environment. This first episode will explore the Mobile Bay Watershed.
Discussion Questions (These are the questions in the Kahoot and Quizizz, if you prefer to use them without the interactives.)
- What is a watershed?
- What are the benefits of wetlands?
- What is an estuary?
- What is the name of the animal group that has an exoskeleton, segmented body, & jointed limbs?
- Of these species, who is NOT a cartilaginous fish?
- Hardhead Catfish
- Sharpnose Shark
- Butterfly Rey
- Bonnethead Shark
- Where do female Blue Crabs carry their fertilized eggs?
For additional educational resources visit these sites:
Gulf Detectives is made possible through the generous support of:
- American Graduate, a program of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
- Daniel Foundation of Alabama
- Wells Fargo