Recipients will receive $500 to promote student learning, achievement, and inspiration to learn.
- Funds can be used for professional development, classroom materials, supplies, visiting experts, field trips or other resources, products, events, etc. that directly impact the success of students and the promotion of learning.
- Reporting on fund expenditure should be submitted no later than 13 months after award month (i.e., August 2023 award should submit a report by September 2024 or sooner).
- Grant reports can be submitted via this form.
- Additional artifacts/pictures/video/etc. can be sent to [email protected].
Note: Student faces will not be printed or shared publicly. We ask that student images are not included, if possible.
Contest: APT / Excellence in Education Awards
Station Address: 2112 11th Ave S, Suite 400, Birmingham, AL 35205
Contest Area: Entire state of Alabama
Prize Provider(s): Alabama Public Television Educational Services Division
Age of Eligibility: Entrants: Eighteen (18) and reside in the Contest Area
Nominees: Nominee must be currently employed as a Kindergarten through Grade 12 teacher, or a special education teacher, at any public, private or charter school within the contest area.
Contest Period: August 1, 2023 to May 10, 2024
Entries Due: 11:59 PM CT on the 10th of the month for the award month (i.e. September 10th to be considered for the month of September). Previous entries that have not been selected will also be considered.
Entry is limited to one (1) entry per IP address, however, more than one nomination may be received for more than one nominee from different entrants.
Nomination Topic: Tell us why your favorite teacher deserves the Excellence in Education Award and how the nominee made an impact (in 500 words or less). Nominee must be currently employed as a Kindergarten through Grade 12 teacher, or a special education teacher, at any public, private or charter school within the Contest Area.
Judging Criteria: Content (30%), Compelling nature of story (40%), Attributes of teacher (30%)
Total Number of Winners in a school year: Twelve (12)
Winner Determination Date(s): August 18, 2023; September 20, 2023; October 18, 2023; November 17; 2023, December 18, 2023; January 18, 2024; February 19, 2024; March 20, 2024; April 18, 2024; May 17, 2024
Prize(s) and Value(s): Each winner will be featured in an “Excellence in Education” segment on APT’s Spotlight on Education and will receive a Five Hundred Dollar ($500) check. Due to its nature, a value for the on-air feature cannot be determined.
Station’s Website: https://aptv.org/
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
All capitalized terms shall have the meanings set forth above.
How to Enter
To enter, visit this form. Complete the online entry form and click submit. By entering, entrants agree that the nominee, not the entrant, is eligible to win the prize. No mechanically reproduced or completed entries will be accepted.
Judging of Entries/How to Win
- Each entry will be judged and scored by a panel of judges comprised of Station personnel and Contest Sponsor personnel based on the Judging Criteria for the Nomination Topic.
- On each Winner Determination Date, the judges will determine the Total Number of Winners with the highest score based on the criteria set forth above. Remaining valid entries will carry over to the next Winner Determination Date.
- As a condition of winning, Winner must sign an appearance release and agree to be featured on-air by the Station; failure to do so will result in disqualification, and if time permits, an alternate winner may be selected. Whether or not the feature actually airs as well as the date, time, nature and extent of the feature remains at the sole and absolute discretion of the Station.
- In the event an insufficient number of valid entries are received for judging, Station reserves the right to cancel the contest or reduce the Total Number of Winners and not select a monthly winner.
- To be eligible to participate in the Contest, entrants must be U.S. residents who are at least the Age of Eligibility and reside in the Contest Area. Nominees must be U.S. residents who are at least the Age of Eligibility, reside in the Contest Area, and meet the criteria of the Nomination Topic. Residents and Citizens of the European Union are not eligible to enter or win this Contest.
- Employees of Alabama Public Television (collectively, the “Company”), Sponsor(s), Prize Provider(s), contest software providers, social media platforms, each of their affiliated companies, advertising and promotion agencies, any and all local television broadcast and cable stations, local radio and other media companies, and the immediate family members of each are ineligible. The term “immediate family” includes spouses, domestic partners, grandparents, parents, siblings, children, grandchildren, and any other relatives who reside in the same household with employee. Only one winner per household.
Contest Terms and Conditions
- Station is not responsible for lost, late, garbled, or misdirected entries, printing errors, server unavailability, computer or any other electronic malfunction. All entries received that are duplicate, mutilated, tampered with, incorrect, illegible, or from ineligible entrants will be void. All entries become the property of the Company and will not be acknowledged or returned.
- Station cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries, prizes or contest information. Station is not responsible for any technological malfunction, or human error relating to the Contest.
- Prizes are provided “as is” without any express or implied warranty of any kind including warranties of merchantability, non-infringement or intellectual property, or fitness for any particular purpose. Prizes are subject to the Sponsor(s) and/or Prize Provider(s) standard terms and conditions, and expiration dates. For any ticket related prize, Station, Sponsor(s) and Prize Provider(s) are not responsible if any event or performance is cancelled or postponed.
- Each winner’s school will be notified by email or phone. Before claiming any prize, each winner must provide his/her correct name, address and telephone number to Station at the time of notification. Each winner must sign and return a release and affidavit of eligibility, which must be received within three (3) days of notification (or less due to prize use time constraints), at the time winner claims his/her prize in person at the Station.
- If a winner cannot be notified within two (2) days or does not timely sign and return the release and affidavit of eligibility, then the prize will be forfeited, and time permitting, the prize will be awarded to an alternate winner with the next highest score, as determined by the judges in their sole and absolute discretion. If time does not permit for an alternate winner to be determined, then the prize will be forfeited, and the prize will remain the property of the Station.
- There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for any prize except at the sole discretion of Station. The Station has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No sale, transfer or assignment of any prize is allowed.
- Each winner is responsible for paying all local, county, state and federal taxes on prizes based on the estimated retail value of the prizes as set forth in these rules. Each winner must sign a W-9 form.
- Entrants are eligible to win only one prize within any 90-day period, regardless of the number of contests entered.
- The Company is not liable if the provider of any part of a prize fails to satisfy its obligations to furnish its portion of the prize.
- The Company, Sponsor(s), and Prize Provider(s) accept no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind directly or indirectly caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize awarded in the Contest. By entering, entrants agree to release the Company, Sponsor(s), Prize Provider(s), contest software providers, social media platforms, and each of their respective parent, affiliates, officers, directors, employees and agents, from any and all claims, loss, damage or injury as a result of or incident to his/her participation in the Contest or his/her use of the prize. Entrants further acknowledge and agree that if a winner, the Company has the right to publicize entrant’s name, character, likeness, photograph, voice and the fact that entrant is a winner of the Contest for promotional purposes, without financial remuneration.
- Complete Official Rules for the Contest are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours at the Station and on the Station’s Website. For a list of prize winners, send a separate, self- addressed, stamped envelope to the Station at the Station Address within thirty (30) days of the last day of the Contest Period.
- The Station has the right to disqualify any entrant it determines has not complied with the Contest Rules. All decisions by the Station shall be final and binding relating to this contest, including the interpretation of the Contest Rules. Station reserves the right to make rules and contest changes and change the contest dates. Station reserves the right to cancel/terminate, modify or suspend the Contest if in Station’s sole determination it believes that the integrity of the Contest has been, or could be, compromised or that the Contest is not capable of running as planned or fairly, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or force majeure or any other causes beyond the Station’s control.