Interning with Alabama Public Television Education Production Department
Alabama Public Television offers on-air and online resources for learners of all ages through PBS, PBS LearningMedia, PBS Kids and original content created by the Education Production Department: Learning Adventures (live interactive streaming events), Spotlight on Education, American Graduate, on-air programs, promos, and specials as well as online learning objects.
This internship primarily consists of video editing on professional editing platforms, encoding, organizing files, formatting graphics and attending filming shoots when possible. APT seeks to provide a solid educational experience to participants by broadening their understanding of public television and every level of professional television production.
Responsibilities may include:
- Assistant editing using Final Cut X, Adobe After Effects & Photoshop
- Production assistance on location
- Exporting files in a variety of formats for broadcast and web using Compressor & Adobe Media Encoder. Creating captioning files for broadcast and web.
- Becoming familiar with emerging industry recording media standards and data storage
- Transcribing interviews as well as transferring and encoding video
- Researching and locating original files for the APT Digital Library, refining editing skills in Final Cut X by re-editing files and exporting them for upload to the web, creating still graphics to go with videos.
- Reformatting videos for use on Social Media platforms.
- Creating a final project to work on that will help learn/build skills in areas that the student is interested in, to be discussed and outlined at the beginning of the internship in addition to the other tasks assigned.
The ideal candidate will be a Film/TV, Communications, Art, History or English major at a nearby university. They should have strong computer and troubleshooting skills and be able to work independently in a technical environment with little supervision. Basic working knowledge of Final Cut X required. Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud applications recommended.
Please note: this job description is meant to be a generic description and represents the minimum job duties an individual may be required to perform. Individual departments will/can customize job descriptions and hours of work to meet their specific needs.
Interested applicants should mail, email or fax resume and cover letter to:
Alabama Public Television
2112 11th Ave S, Suite 400
Birmingham, AL 35205
Fax: (205) 251-2192
Alabama Public Television is an equal opportunity employer.