Featuring performances by Jean Smart, Gil Birmingham, Mary McCormack, Dennis Haysbert, Lea Salonga, Norm Lewis, Craig Morgan, Rhiannon Giddens and Brian Stokes Mitchell!
Tony Award-winner Joe Mantegna and Emmy Award-winner Gary Sinise, acclaimed actors who have dedicated themselves to veterans causes and supporting our troops in active service, return to host the 33rd Annual NATIONAL MEMORIAL DAY CONCERT Sunday at 7:00pm on APT. Featuring all-star musical performances and tributes, the 90-minute broadcast will honor our men and women in uniform, veterans, their families and all those who have given their lives for our country.
A more than three decades long tradition unlike anything else on television, this deeply moving and reverential night takes us back to the real meaning of the holiday through personal stories interwoven with musical performances by top stars with the National Symphony Orchestra. The 2022 NATIONAL MEMORIAL DAY CONCERT will include:
- General Colin Powell Remembrance – Acclaimed actor Dennis Haysbert pays tribute to General Powell, who was an important part of the NATIONAL MEMORIAL DAY CONCERT for more than 25 years.
- Generations of Service – Award-winning actor Gil Birmingham presents the story of Vietnam combat medic Francis Whitebird, whose uncle fought in World War I and whose father was a Lakota Code Talker in World War II, and whose sons served in Iraq.
- Honoring Gold Star Families – with multi-Emmy Award-winning actress Jean Smart and Joe Mantegna.
- Women in WWII Tribute – featuring Tony Award-nominated star of stage and screen Mary McCormack
- Medal of Honor Tribute - featuring Gary Sinise.
- Lincoln Memorial 100th anniversary - featuring Gary Sinise.
The concert will mark the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln Memorial on the National Mall, built in tribute to President Lincoln. His Gettysburg Address spoken in honor of those who gave their last full measure of devotion, was foundational to the nation’s commemoration of Memorial Day.
The national night of remembrance will also feature performances by: multiple award-winning actress and singer Lea Salonga (MISS SAIGON, MULAN); Emmy, Grammy, Tony, and SAG Award-nominated actor Norm Lewis (PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, SCANDAL); chart topping country music singer songwriter and U.S. Army veteran Craig Morgan; Grammy-winning singer Rhiannon Giddens; Tony Award-winning Broadway star Brian Stokes Mitchell; acclaimed singer and AMERICAN IDOL alum Pia Toscano; the National Symphony Orchestra under the direction of top pops conductor Jack Everly; annual audience favorite Salute to Services with the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Also participating are members from The U.S. Army Herald Trumpets, The U.S. Army Chorus, The Soldiers’ Chorus of the U.S. Army Field Band, The U.S. Navy Band Sea Chanters, The U.S. Air Force Singing Sergeants, the Armed Forces Color Guard and Service Color Teams provided by the Military District of Washington, D.C.