If you've stopped receiving one or more of the Alabama Public Television channels you usually receive, it's likely that your digital television will not find the channel again unless you rescan for channels. Most viewers have experience rescanning for channels following thunderstorms or other disruptions to their signal, or to pick up new digital channels offered by stations in their area. If you haven't done it recently, the best thing to do is refer to your owners manual. Otherwise, the following general steps should help you through the process. All televisions are a little different, so menu options may vary.
TELEVISION CHANNEL SCAN
1. Using your television's remote control, press the Menu or Settings option. (A "Smart TV" may have a smart button that must be used to access the settings menu. It will generally have the manufacturer's logo on it.)
2. Locate Channels or Tuner Set Up option.
3. Check the menu for an option of Antenna Type or Connection Type followed by either Antenna or Cable. Choose Antenna.
4. From the menu, choose Digital Channel Search (based on manufacturer, alternate choices may include Channel Scan, Channel Search or Autoprogram.)
5. Allow the TV to complete the search. You will see a bar listing how many channels have been found.
6. Once complete, confirm the menu prompt, then press an exit or quit option.
Sometimes a double rescan is needed to clear the memory of your digital TV or converter box. To do this:
1. Disconnect the antenna from the Converter Box or Digital TV.
2. Rescan without the antenna connected. As with any scan, follow the on-screen instructions or owner's manual for your device.
3. Unplug the Converter Box or Digital TV from the electrical outlet for one minute.
4. Reconnect the antenna to the Converter Box or Digital TV and plug the unit into the electrical outlet.
5. Rescan the Converter Box or Digital TV one more time.
If you have difficulty receiving WORLD after rescanning, or if your cable company doesn't make the switch on January 1, contact APT Viewer Services at 1-800-239-5233.