3.) Recognize how light interacts with transparent, translucent, and opaque materials.
• Predicting the reflection or absorption of light by various objects
5.) Contrast ways in which light rays are bent by concave and convex lenses.
• Describing how a prism forms a visible spectrum
• Explaining why different objects have different colors
• Describing how mirrors reflect light
Example: discussing differences in the reflection of light by convex and concave mirrors
• Describing the relationship between the structure of the eye and sight
• Identifying types of corrective lenses used to correct different sight problems
Examples: convex-farsightedness, concave-nearsightedness
• Identifying the contribution of van Leeuwenhoek to the development of the microscope
12.) Classify waves as mechanical or electromagnetic.
- electromagnetic-ultraviolet light waves, visible light waves
• Describing how earthquake waves, sound waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves
can be destructive or beneficial due to the transfer of energy
• Describing longitudinal and transverse waves
• Describing how waves travel through different media
• Relating wavelength, frequency, and amplitude to energy
• Describing the electromagnetic spectrum in terms of frequencies
Example: electromagnetic spectrum in increasing frequencies-microwaves, infrared light, visible light,
ultraviolet light, X rays