Gathering and Use of Information
- We do not collect any personal identification information from you other than what you supply voluntarily. Anyone under the age of 13 must have their parents’ approval before sending APT any personal identification information.
- We may ask you to submit personal identification information to include your name, address, e-mail address, or phone number if needed to provide you with specific services. These may include your subscription to our electronic newsletter, purchasing products, requesting information or making an initial or renewal contribution to APT. In those cases, we will ask only for the information necessary. We will also advise you as to how the information will be used and, whenever possible, provide an alternate way of participating that preserves your online anonymity.
- We do not sell or trade personal identification information about our users. The only outside parties with whom this information is shared are those hired by APT to complete a transaction in which you have chosen to participate, such as fulfilling your request for a thank-you gift or with an outside supplier who provides mail services for our organization. APT’s contracts with such organizations stipulate that they cannot use the information provided for any use other than the intended use.
- APT may occasionally use some of the personal identification information you furnish to advise you about educational, fundraising, or broadcast programs or services in which you may have indicated an interest. For example, we may remind you when your membership is about to lapse, or we may use it to notify you of something you need to know to ensure uninterrupted service from APT. You will always have the option to “opt out” of a service or subscription, which will be honored as quickly as possible.
Credit Card Information
- Only individuals age 18 or older may make credit card transactions with APT. All financial transactions made online take place on secure servers and are sent only in a secured or encrypted format. Personal credit card information is saved in an encrypted format on internal systems that are either not connected to the Internet or are protected by advanced firewalls that are separate from the computers that serve APT public sites. As with other personal identification information gathered by APT, this information is not made available to any third party and is considered completely confidential. When you join APT, your name, complete contact information, and all contributions are received by APT’s Membership Department, where the information is fully protected.
- In order to allow you to customize certain areas of our Web site, such as the TV schedules, or to complete a transaction, at times we will store a “cookie” on your computer. This small text file records a randomly generated ID for you, along with the data necessary to maintain the level of customization you have selected.