Southern Research invites you to apply for our Summer Internship Program for STEM Educators (SIPSE). SIPSE is professional development program for Alabama high school teachers. The program is managed by Southern Research’s STEM Outreach Program and provides paid summer internships for 9th-12th grade STEM educators in research laboratories at Southern Research. Teachers spend 6 weeks learning first-hand how scientists and engineers approach problems, design experiments, interpret data, communicate findings, and develop and implement workplace solutions. SIPSE offers Alabama educators "real world" applications of the subjects they teach, allowing them to increase content knowledge and gain practical examples of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics applications for enriched instruction and teaching practices based on evidence-based experiences.
- Teachers with a $4500 stipend for their participation in the program
- Professional learning credits upon successful completion of all program requirements.
- Weekly professional development workshops offered throughout the summer
- Up to $1000 for the teacher to purchase supplies needed to support their Action Plan (lab supplies, computer software, etc.)
- Feedback to the teacher’s principal and system coordinator on your Action Plan
March 2 Applications due
April 2 Selected teachers notified
June 11 First day of SIPSE
July 20 Last day of SIPSE
- 9th-12th grade teachers employed full time in public or private schools with primary teaching assignments in science, technology, engineering, math, computer science or education. Teachers must be assigned a full-time teaching load during the academic year prior to and after the summer fellowship appointment
- U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status required
For more information about SIPSE and answers to frequently asked questions click here
Apply for SIPSE
If you are interested in becoming a SIPSE fellow and have additional questions, please contact Dr. Kathryn Lanier, STEM Education and Outreach Director, at email@example.com.